• Print

Author Topic: Multiple race groups on whatsapp  (Read 580 times)

Offline Driver 101

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Le Mans car driver
  • ..../\/"""""\/\....
    • View Profile
Multiple race groups on whatsapp
« on: November 03, 2017, 03:27:03 PM »
Hi Guys

I would like to have some feed back on this please?

Are whatsapp groups making sites / forums like this redundant? Are we now seeing guys communicating more privately through whatsapp?

This is something thats been on my mind for a while. I belong to a whatsapp group for PCars and it has plenty guys there, so is this the way things are going? as well as facebook groups? Is there even a future for a forum?

I for one have always wished that the sim racing community for consoles would all group in one place, like hear, where communication, tips, champs are all posted and kept for reference in the future. I feel its better, its more transparent, sometimes in a whatsapp group you miss vital info. And then theres facebook as well where plenty is currently can be done?

I would love to hear your thoughts on this? Please.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 03:31:37 PM by Driver 101 »

Offline Leap33_za

• PotentZa Racing
  • NASCAR car driver
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple race groups on whatsapp
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 03:50:27 PM »
I definitely feel that this forum is still very much relevant for the reasons you stated above. Whatsapp groups tend to get toooo much and you end up having duplicates of people belonging to various groups and it tend to get toooooo busy. I prefer one source for all my online racing info/ feedback/ tips/ etc.. Whatsapp groups just to quickly communicate or share something between teammembers/mates is the only thing I find relevant or convenient.......it just doesnt work when some racing info is just shared on a whatsapp group and you missed it cause 60 conversations happened inbetween.........just my opinion.

Personally I find this website very informative and the fact that it keeps track of all the events, stats, etc..........though a mobile app would be convenient to perhaps easily add dates of events to your racing calendar on your phone and perhaps keep track of results, stats and so on........just a thought  ;)     

Offline HecticZA

• Administrator
  • GP 2 driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 05:24:23 PM »
I agree with the viewpoint that a Forum/web based setup works better for structured racing.

Social Groups is like having a quick dirty affair. Its lots of fun and is great on the short term, but it is not the real, stable and long lasting  relationship that you want.

I view social groups as a great add on for a forum. It lends itself to quick sharing of communications and is very accessible.

That is as far as it goes. It is noisy. Especially WA groups where we had thousands of messages a day on the CRcoza group. There is no way that everybody can be up to speed regarding info.
Every 5 minutes someone will ask a questions that already been posted countless times. Search functions are limited on Social media.
Having a structured setup in that environment ito a championship, a scoring system, a steward setup along with daily news, new tech info, jokes, YouTube videos, ets sounds like chaos to me.

People also tend to be very short tempered online and posts are sometimes misunderstood ito context and tone. On a forum that might lead to a difference of oions with post flying over the show or someone would just be silent and decide not to react.
On WA you tend to leave a group in 2 seconds if you are offended.
Also recordkeeping and filters and general setup ito rules and implementation thereof  are much better on web sites.

Think FB and even the PS Community setup is slightly better in that regard, but still does not measure up imo.

By all means create a group for fun, chats, quick communication, but not as a primary backend for running a community.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 06:31:48 PM by HecticZA »

Offline Ghost_Dice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Kart driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 09:32:53 AM »
I would have to agree with you Hectic, WhatsApp app groups do have there place.

One can use it to your advantage, perhaps have a group for pre race chat, but with taptalk you have the same use for the forum chat room that never gets used.
I feel allot of informations gets lost and/missed with a WhatsApp group.

A forum based site will always have a pace and in my opinion the best way the share, record and store information for a gaming community.

For most people a forum based site might be overwhelming and they get lost. not understanding how it works or where to look for certain information. Hence a well organised forum is important.

Don't get me started on Facebook as same with WhatsApp scrolling though a ton of posts to find what you need.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline Rod

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Le Mans car driver
  • Just a boy racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 10:21:01 AM »
It's all been said. There is currently nothing to replace this forum, can you imagine a SSS Main page, driver rankings and other information being typed on a tiny keypad and then stored for months on your phone? :'(

Offline Ninja_JFavingsdikunzy

• Team Ninja
  • NASCAR car driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 11:06:54 AM »
Everyone has made very valid points. I still believe that a forum is the best way to communicate, record and organize a championship. What is worrisome to me is that I see  a tendency to migrate to Whatsaap based races leaving our members scattered all over the place. That compound with the fact we now have three platforms to choose from(Assetto, Pcars 2 and GT sport).     

Offline Driver 101

• Administrator
  • Le Mans car driver
  • ..../\/"""""\/\....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 12:49:19 PM »
This is very pleasing to know that already we see there is a need for the forum. I agree 100% with all the above.

Please spread the word for all platforms of racing.....GTSport / Pcars / AC to try attract racers, to a here, to one place where we can have larger fields of drivers, It would so cool to have plenty SA okes help grow this community. Cos theres still so much more that we could do.

2018 is looking good,

GTsport will surely take off.....big time

and

we will definitely be starting a Pcars champs in January, maybe the popular OMC series will be first

Offline SA-Speedster

• Team Leader
  • Touring Car driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 10:44:45 AM »
I agree with all the posts that everyone made!

The forum is also great for record keeping..like Hectic also mentioned..which is not the same on a WA group.

The difficult part is...and will remain...to get those 100's of "WA racers" to join this forum, so we must persevere in that venture...please... ;D

• Print